October 3, 2020 Note from NCS-Evan Braff: In addition to facilitating activities on the platform, our staff has been busy delivering home delivered meals to seniors. This week we passed the 300,000 mark for home delivered meals in response to COVID-19. Additional Neighborhood and Community Services non-senior staff have also jumped in to assist us getting these meals delivered – it is truly an agency wide effort. THANK YOU VERY MUCH NCS AND FOFCSC!!! Enjoy the Christmas List 2020.
NOTE FROM NCS – EVAN BRAFF: On Monday, March 30, 2020, NCS will be messaging again out to our 60 and over population reminding them to call into the Coordinated Services Planning line at (703) 222-0880. Older Adults can call this number to assist in getting their basic needs met (home delivered meals, rides to critical medical appointments and medicine pick-up, etc). We want to make sure our older adult community is getting their basic needs met. More Senior Resources information are posted at http://scwow.org/announcements.html. Evan added on 4/20/2020 note about Spiritual Support by Phone and Distance Assistance by Fairfax County. 200422Connection Article (pdf) CWoW Health Reminders.
On May 13th Chairman Jeff McKay shared with Burke/West Springfield Senior Center Without Walls a Message of Gratitude to Good Neighbors.
This is a supplementary website for the CWoW official site – http://scwow.org/ – in order to provide schedule and downloadable registration form for FREE Drop-In Classes starting on March 9, 2020. A flyer is online. We post free library programs in the Burke/Springfield area– https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/library-programs/
INCLEMENT WEATHER NOTICE: If Fairfax County Public Schools are closed or open 2 hours late/2 hour Early Release due to inclement weather, classes will be canceled for that day. https://www.fcps.edu/alerts
PARKING NOTICE AND VAN PICK-UP: If Pinn Center parking is full, please park at the Greater Little Zion Baptist Church (10185 Zion Drive) and you can call Pinn Community Center at 703-250-9181 for transportation to and from classes. The Pinn Center is located at 10225 Zion Drive, Fairfax, VA.
Mental Health Mondays at Pinn Center: During the summer, the Mental Health Mondays from 10AM-3PM will be rescheduled to Mental Health Summer Saturdays from 11AM – 5PM. The Monday free drop-in programs (#1, #2 , #3 below) will be accompanied by coffee and cookies.
- Games Galore from 10AM – 12PM every Second and Fourth Mondays with lessons and plays, including mexican train, rummikub, mahjong, bridge, clue — using videos on weblink: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/games/
- On the first meeting – Monday, March 9, 2020, we will begin by learning and playing Mexican Train. As we get comfortable with that game, we will learn other games with the goal of having tables with multiple games for seniors.
2. Bridge – Beginners from 10AM – 12PM every First and Third Mondays. We will join a longstanding bridge group. Tables will be set up for beginners for lessons/game plays. First Class for Beginner Bridge on Third Monday, March 16, 2020. Useful bridge videos are on weblink: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/bridge/. The videos include playing online to practice at home: https://www.wildtangent.com/play/bridge-html5
3. Spanish Conversations from 1PM – 3PM using videos on weblink: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/spanish/ Many Thanks to Cloris Valenzuela, retired Spanish teacher, who has kindly volunteered to help develop the Spanish Conversations program. Beginners and those with Spanish skills are all welcome. First Spanish conversation class on Monday, March 9, 2020.
4. Friday Square Dancing (with Videos) at Pinn Center: The program on Fridays from 12:30PM – 2:30PM will utilize videos with callers for learning and dancing that are posted on weblink: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/square-dance/ Beginners and those with square dancing skills are welcome. First Class on Friday, March 13, 2020.
5. Second Wednesday Book Club at Pohick Regional Library from 2-4PM with information on book selections and possible schedule changes on weblink: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/book-club/ First Class March 11, 2020.
6. Tuesday Mahjong-Beginners at Pinn Community Center from 10AM – 12PM. We will join a longstanding CWoW senior mahjong group. Tables for beginners will be set up for lessons and game plays. Many Thanks to Chris Altherr who volunteered to teach the beginner mahjong class and to Elaine Travis who has also volunteered to help. The First Mahjong-Beginner Class on March 10, 2020. Useful website links have been posted for the Mahjong (American) class: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/mahjong/ Particularly useful is an American Mahjong video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RrAVYpuOuw
7. Special Events at Pinn Center: These programs would mostly be on Saturdays when Pinn Center is available from 11AM-5PM and could include occasional YouTube Movies, Seminars with GMU professors, War Gaming or Murder Mystery with Clue, and Pinn Community Day with hotdogs and hamburgers, etc. More information will be at weblink: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/events/
For CWoW registration with class fees, please visit the official site: http://scwow.org/. Total class registrations: https://burkecwow.wordpress.com/cwow-total-programs/ More information at http://scwow.org/about/ and video below on CWoW history. CWoW seniors must register with NCS RecDynamics . After registering, login at website: https://fairfax.usedirect.com/ncsweb/